Flu never fails to disturb you so it’s important that you know how to get rid of flu effectively. The flu bug strikes when there’s something important that you need to do and while it may not be cured overnight, you can do a lot of things to cut your sick time by one or two days. The key here is taking immediate action by the minute that you feel its symptoms.
Various Remedies for Flu
What are the symptoms of flu? You’ll know that you’re about to get sick if you start experiencing cough, sore throat, chills, sweats, chest discomfort and high fever. What you should do when you experience these symptoms is rest and not attempt to be a hero or you’ll really feel awful. Aside from taking a rest, what are the other methods on how to get rid of flu?
- Keep your body clean. When you get sick, the flu virus is all around you so to feel better and avoid it from spreading, take warm showers to stay clean. Do not let anyone else use the same towel after you. Take long showers several times a day to break up throat irritation and congestion.
- Drink plenty of water. A very easy method of how to get rid of flu is drinking extreme amounts of fluids including water. Warm soups and juices also help in speeding up your recovery. Chicken soup tastes really good and it has anti-inflammatory properties that help make you feel better.
- Clear you throat with saltwater. Gargling with salt water will help in clearing out the throat from accumulated nasty mucus especially if you do this first thing in the morning.
- Utilize salin nasal spray. How to get rid of flu? If you want quick relief, you can give salin nasal spray a try as this is known as very effecitve in unclogging the nasal passage and in preventing mucus buildup.
- Consider steam therapy. To open up stuff nose, boil a pot of water then cover a towel over your head . Have the towel draped over the pot. Once you’re settled, lean forward and start enhaling the steam deeply for around 10-15 minutes.
- Take over-the-counter medicines. There are a lot of medications that can answer your search on how to get rid of flu. You can buy them in local drugstores and most of them have been proven to really work. What’s great about most OTC medicines is that they help you get a good sleep which you might lack because of your disturbing cough.
Food that Help in Getting Rid of Flu
Aside from following an effective method of how to get rid of flu, it is important also that you put in healthy food to your body. This can make it easier for you to bear the sickness. The following healthy food may be readily available in your kitchen:
- Hot tea. This is not only packed with antioxidants that help make you feel a little better but also has a soothing steam and heat that cures sore throat. Just add lemon or pure honey on a hot tea for added help in taming cough.
- Vomiting, diarrhea and nausea can be treated by eating bananas. You might not really like to eat when you’re trying to tame a flu so just slice up one banana into small pieces so that you can easily chew and swallow them.
- Vegetable juice. This may not taste as good as other juices but this is packed with lots of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that help you stay hydrated. Give carrot or tomato juice a try.
- When it comes to taming stomachaches, one of the first home remedies that come to mind is ginger because it’s known to be very effective. It actually helps in treating nausea and inflation too which makes you feel better if you have the flu.
- If you don’t want anything heavy on the stomach, crackers should work and what’s great about them is that they don’t upset the tummy further. You can have a toast too if you prefer.
- Hot Spices. Those who look for ways of how to get rid of flu are usually advised to try hot spices like cayenne pepper. They may not be backed by scientific research but many people have attested that they help treat chest congestion and sinuses.
Precautionary Measures to Prevent Flu
Now that you already know of the food that you should take in and the methods of how to get rid of flu, let’s take a look the precautionary measures that should help you prevent flu.
- Keep your hands clean. Washing your hands for at least 20 seconds or using a hand sanitizer after using the bathroom or before meals helps a lot in preventing the symptoms of flu.
- Maintain good personal hygiene. Take a bath everyday, keep your nails clean and wash your hands throughout the day so that you can prevent virus from spreading in your body especially if there’s someone at work who has a flu.
- Cut down on alcohol and cigarettes. As much as possible, avoid drinking alcoholic beverages and smoking cigarettes because they lower the immunity level of your body thus putting it at major risk of catching the flu.
- Take vitamin supplements. As we all are aware of, prevention is always better than cure so take vitamin supplements every day, seek antiviral and vaccines.
When Cough and Fever Worsens
People infected with the flu virus or influenza are generally recommended to stay home, take adequate rest and avoid school or work for the meantime until they fully recover. Granting that you have followed all the instructions on how to get rid of flu and the food that you should eat but the symptoms worsen instead of gettinger better, what should you do?
Forget about the methods of how to get rid of flu and don’t insist on still following them if your condition worsens and consult a medical practitioner immediately instead. Do not allow 5 days to pass with your condition not getting any better. If you’re starting to experience severe chest pain and difficulty in breathing, consult your doctor right away.